I wanted create a drum pad that performs a melody as the drum stick strikes. Typically, when practicing with snare drum sticks, one creates percussive sounds not melodies and I thought this could spice up the experience of practicing. First I tried to create drum sticks that achieved the task but realized that since I was relying on a sensor and gogo board (and scratch), I'd be better off if the sticks were wireless and the electrical components were attached to the drum pad. I took a mouse pad and created a vaccum mold around it.
Unfortunately, when I took the polymer out of the mold I learned that the mold had tipped over which sort of ruined the nice circular shape. Instead I created something reminicent of a halloween mask. But, at least the sensor was embedded.
I did my best to salvage the drum pad, but it came out a bit messy.
When I cut out the drum pad and attached it to a piece of paper I realized things might work out after all.
Perhaps the heart of the program was in the integration of scratch. I wrote a program that advanced the melody each time the sound sensor was activated. I ran into a few bugs and I think my sensor got damaged along the way, but ultimately I was successfuly in developing a prototype for my idea.
Take a look!