My goal was to build a two part mold using the vacuum former. My strategy was to vacuum form each half using some cardboard to offset the vacuumed form.
Here is the second pass where I include the cutout of the vacuumed form from the first pass:
And then things started to go awry.... I used the urethane rubber with 40 hardness. I ran into a few issues. First, I should have used mold release. Also, my two part mold leaked a bit, and I think there was something wrong with the urethane. Even after 48 hours the material was still quite tacky.
Here is the two part mold stapled and taped together:
The part looks pretty close to the chess piece. Unfortunately the material doesn't lend itself to cutting the flanges and sprue.
I also soldered some leads onto an LED to use with the gogo board and the arduino board. I found that adding some solder to the ends of the wire helped to make the wires manageable with the board headers.
Here is a video of the LED lighting up as the magnet embedded in the chess piece approaches a magnetic sensor: